Saturday, October 13, 2012

Winter comfort food (quinoa, coconut, squash....)

Hi! I am finishing up my second week of my 4th quarter of nursing school. I already feel my neck/upper back getting tight from the stress! I need to start yoga again.... tomorrow is my goal! After just a handful of poses tonight I already feel better.

My neighbor from Minnesota told me about this recipe, and I have had it four times this week because it makes such big batches and is delicious! And it is getting cold...

This is just the coconut milk and squash

Ingredients: Yields 4 servings
2 cups of cubed butternut squash (I baked the squash for 45 min)
1 can of black beans (or cooked yourself)
1 cup quinoa
3/4 cup coconut milk (unsweetened)
1/4 onion (any kind, I chose red onion)
1 lime
herb of your choice (thyme, parsley) *preferably fresh instead of dried

Directions:
*have beans already made
1) cook quinoa in water
2) start sautéing onion for 5 min (in small amount of water instead of oil)
3) add coconut milk, squash, beans, and herb (cook at a medium temp until hot)
Avoid having the coconut milk bubble
4) Squirt on lime juice
5) Pour over quinoa

Feel free to add greens if you'd like. Some ideas: collard, kale, spinach

Will keep for 4 days.


No comments:

Post a Comment