Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Collard Wraps- time to be creative! (post by daughter)

My mom and I have been eating these for lunch like everyday! She can eat them at her desk and I can eat them at school or clinical. I found a waterbottle like container to carry them in, because otherwise you go through a lot of tin foil. 
So you can really put anything in them, but you need something paste-like to help hold everything together. 

I've been doing a similar version of hummus (on the right), and sweet potato with cauliflower (on the left) My mom has a different version that she will post about. But you can buy already made hummus and use that!  
 Then you need vegetables to put on top of the paste-like ingredients. I did shredded carrots, radishes, and cucumbers. I use whatever vegetable I have. I ALWAYS include raw sunflower seeds... they stick in the paste first. And ALWAYS add little bits of fresh ginger... it gives you a surprise bite throughout the wrap!
 Here is my board that I use in the kitchen... In the middle is the ingredient list for the wrap. I have listed: carrot, cukes, red pepper. I ended up not using red pepper...it is a very overpowering vegetable. Then I have the chickpea concoction: chickpeas (not from can), lemon, tahini, agave and pepper. I have a goal of eating slower and to not over eat.... which is very hard to do! Then I was listening to Jilian Michael's podcast and wrote down 5 things to stay healthy: 1) good nutrition-antioxidants, avoid sugar, increase protein. 2) exercise 3) seek out pleasure- and nuture it 4) believe in something- a reason to live 5) communicate- using "I" statements
 Here's the wrap before it's wrapped up! So you take the collard leaves, cut the thick stem either out, or shave it so it is thinner. Then put it in steaming water in a sautee pan for 5 sec on each side to soften them. To wrap: tuck in the stem side and the top, start rolling from either side... I used a sushi roller to help me. I am still really bad at rolling... I need my mom to do this for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment