Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Vegan Cheese!! (from daughter)

Okay LOVE THIS STUFF!! It is cheese... made out of cashews. There are a ton of recipes out there to make it different consistencies. This one is for crackers, manicotti, lasagna and wraps! 


Ingredients: Makes a LOT!! maybe like 2 cups
2 cups raw cashews
                   3/4 cup olive oil
                   squeeze a whole lemon in there
                   a clove or less of garlic (it is super potent when raw!)
                   pepper to taste
                   whatever spices you want
                   the red one above has sun dried tomatoes in it.... i prefer the plain one

Steps:
 1) soak cashews for 2 hours in water
 2) drain cashews
 3) mix everything in the food processor- I would advise mixing in 2 or 3 batches because it is too dry for the blade to handle that much. And if you do it in more than one batch, you can make different flavors... as seen below. I did one with sun dried tomatoes, and one without.
I put it in lasagna last night instead of putting ricotta or mozerella. It was so good and my boyfriend even liked it! Now I just need to find whole wheat lasagna noodles. 

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to try that out! I can't have any diary or lactose products anyways, so I am always trying to find good cheese substitutes. I found some rice and almond cheese that I like but this sounds yummy!!

    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize you were lactose intolerant! How is the rice or almond cheese?

      Delete