Monday, April 9, 2012

Bumble Bars!!!

This is another one of my.... I copied all the ingredients from the packaging from a Valley Natural Foods (co-op in Apple Valley, MN) deli area. I have been looking for a substantial "Bar" to make to satisfy those afternoon pangs that come along. I also have been trying to make a healthy snack for my husband to have so he doesn't reach for the usual candy bars or Triscuits. I'm trying to get him away from processed foods. He is doing so well, but I have to keep his interest in the health stuff!!! I also included Carob Chips that were not in the original ingredient list. So, here it is....


Ingredients List: Fills a 8" x 8" pan, so if you want smaller bars put in a bigger pan.


2 Cups White Sesame Seeds
1 Cup Sunflower Seeds
1 Cup Raw Cashews, chopped
1/2 Cup Coconut Flakes
1/2 Cup Honey
1 Cup Peanut Butter (I used the kind that I grind from the machine at the co-op, no sugar, no preservatives!)
Pinch of Salt
1 Cup Carob Chips (Carob chips are made out of carob powder. They are similar in appearance and texture to chocolate chips, although the taste is distinctly different from that of chocolate. Carob is a naturally sweet substance, so there is generally no sugar added to the chips during manufacture. Carob chips also lack the stimulants caffeine and theobromine found in chocolate.)


Mix together all dry ingredients. Add honey, peanut butter, salt to dry ingredients. Mix until thoroughly combined. Add carob chips. Oil the pan, I used a little coconut butter, so the bars will come out easily. Place mixture in pan, use wet fingers to mash down the mixture evenly. Place in refrigerator for about an hour, then you will be able to take out and cut into bars. I put mine in individual Ziploc bags so we can take them for our snacks while at work. 


I must confess, I only used 1/2 Cup of Peanut Butter, and the bars fell apart in the bags while trying to eat them. So, I increased the amount of peanut butter in the ingredient list hoping that it will hold together better. If you make them before I make another batch, please let me know how they turn out. Remember.... I'm in the experimenting with the recipes from ingredients lists!!!! But, I have to say, they definitely tasted like the ones from the co-op, I just need to figure out how to hold them together!!!


Enjoy!!! (from Mom)


1 comment:

  1. I sure hope you stopped by to say hi to a woman that lives very close to that Valley Natural Foods ;) (Boo)

    ReplyDelete