Monday, April 9, 2012

Orange Chili Rice Noodles (Gluten Free)

I went to my local food co-op (Just Food Co-op, Northfield, MN) to look for something to eat for lunch because I didn't have time to make anything. So I found Orange Chili Rice Noodles, gluten-free, and raw except for the rice noodles. Oh my, I thought I died and gone to healthy food heaven!!! Well, this is my first experiment in just having the ingredients in front of me and no idea as to how much of each ingredient. I just dove right in and started with a little bit of everything and then tasted, then added ingredients that I thought the recipe was missing. I think I came pretty darn close to the recipe from the co-op. So here it is, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!!


Ingredients for 2 dinners, 2 people.


1/2 box of Rice Noodles (I bought Thai Kitchen Rice Noodles)
1/2 Cup Bean Sprouts (I usually make my own sprouts, but I bought a bag of    mixed bean sprouts, the ones with the actual bean with a little sprout coming out of it. My husband said it looked like a little sperm!!!)
2 Carrots, shredded or little cubes
2 Green onions, white and green parts
1 Bunch Cilantro, chopped
1/2 Cup Peanuts (I used sunflower seeds instead)
Juice and zest from 3 oranges
1 Tablespoon Wheat Free Tamari
2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Honey
Pinch of Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Red Chili Flakes (I do not like mine too hot. This added just a little bite!)
1 Clove Garlic minced (put more garlic if you wish)
1 Tablespoon Peanut Oil
1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil


Put in large bowl: chopped or grated carrots, scallions, cilantro, and nuts. In another bowl whisk together orange juice and zest, tamari, rice vinegar, honey, salt, red chili flakes, garlic, peanut and sesame oil. Combine well the liquids to other ingredients. Bring a pot of water to a boil, throw in 1/2 box of noodles into boiling water. Take off of heat, let sit for 7 minutes. Drain water from rice noodles. Put noodles in with other ingredients. Mix well until all noodles are covered with mixture. You can serve right away to have a warm dish, or put in refrigerator to cool. I had them warm and the next day took for my lunch and ate cold. Both were very tasty!!!




1 comment: